Sunday, August 19, 2012

Last from London!



Well its here. The last post that will be written from London. How crazy is that?? Can you believe that it has been a year?? I cant!! I don’t want to go back to Ashville. I cant even begin to explain how much of a shock to my system that it is going to be! I am used to being independent, doing what I want to do whenever I want to, and not answering to anyone. Moving back in with the parents is going to be…. Interesting. I think it will be a shock for both of us. Basically Im going to have to keep my big mouth shut! But Im sure I will hear a lot about “common courtesy” so it will “fun”. (that was the phrase right mom??) That means having a curfew that isn’t a set time. Cant wait.

Besides my living arrangement (I should add that I am grateful for a free place to stay!) the country will be hard to adjust to. Yes grass will be nice, but Ill be back to driving everywhere and being lazy when it comes to finding a parking spot. Im going to try to park out away from the doors. How lazy is it to find the closest parking spot, especially since Im used to walking a couple miles a day?? I walk EVERYWHERE and Im going back to driving everywhere. I am excited to drive though. I haven’t driven Lucy since last Sept. or August so that will be fun.

While I am excited for driving I am really going to miss public transportation. You can get somewhere without having to think. You just get on and sit until your stop. Its so nice, especially if Im tired. Oh Im a little nervous… Lucy is a stick shift. Haha. That may be interesting. If you see a red Yaris stalled on Fairmount… that will be me! The William Smith bumper sticker will be a giveaway too!

Another thing that is going to be hard is that I have NEVER been bored here. Ever. There are so many museums, events and things to always do. And the museums are QUALITY ones for FREE. I love free entertainment (especially if art is involved). There are not any National Galleries, Decorative art museums, or British Museums ANYWHERE remotely close to 14710. Im going to have withdrawals.

I guess that real life is going to start when I go home too. I have to get a full time job, which wont be too odd. I have always worked during the summer since I was 16, and worked during college. I guess the weird thing is that it is full time and year round. So it time to find a job so I can get my own place! I also have to proofread my thesis and get it to the binders. AND I have to go through my mountain of crap, considering I have 3 suitcases full of stuff here, my room full at home plus the overflow that has found its way into Katie’s room. Oh geez…!

The plan for this year is to figure stuff out. What I want to do, if I want my phd, if I do where do I want to go for it and what do I want it in, and basically make a decision on my next move. I wish that HWS had a PH.D program. I wouldn’t even need to stop and think about that. I miss undergrad still.

Did I make the right choice a year ago?? I think so. It took me SO long to commit to this journey and I made my choice at the last possible minute. Looking back Im glad I made it. I have no regrets in my life which I am very thankful for. If I wouldn’t have come, I would have regretted it later I think, and now that I have survived (and enjoyed!) this year I am even more relieved that I made the right decision. Christies itself… not what I excepted. In some ways it was for the better. It wasn’t as hard or intense as I thought it would be. In others it was for the worse. I felt that they were very unorganized which was SO frustrating. The course was good, I just felt like it was a survey course in a way but at a masters level. I did learn a TON but I feel like I could have learned more. Im still on the fence if I would recommend it or not. I think part of it was that HWS was SO awesome and a great educational experience that I am having trouble being fair to Christies. I could be the poster girl for HWS, but I don’t know if I would encourage someone to pick Christie’s based on the program. I did learn a lot though, but they could just do it a little better.

The experience that I would tell everyone to do is to live here. Oh my goodness I LOVE living in London. I love the British and the culture. LOVE. I love that every great European city is only a few hours plane ride away. The train system is amazing which makes exploring England so easy! I have been here a year and haven’t done all I that I wanted in England let alone London! If you cant live somewhere for a year I would tell EVERYONE to do a study abroad. Both Rome and London have taught me a lot about Italy, England, the world, America, life, and perhaps most importantly myself!

I moved to a new city in a different country and found myself in the Dragon’s lair. I found an apartment, moved alone, set up my utilities, cell phone, bank account, and became completely self-sufficient. I had skype so I could vent and panic, but I did it. All by myself. If I can do that I can do anything right?? I have gotten lost in train stations, villages, airports and cities but I always find my way WITHOUT the internet to help me! Dear America…. Bring it! I feel like I can handle anything!

I have definitely grown during the past year, but I think most of it happened after Christmas. One I am completely independent. I am completely comfortable doing things by myself. Where before I wouldn’t have done anything without someone along, I go to different cities and countries alone, and also go to sporting events, movies and shopping alone!

I am much more sociable in public. Being alone at the Olympics, on trains, at Galleries, the Queen’s Jubilee and other events cause me to interact more with others. I met the nicest Japanese man at the Gold Medal Match, a family on the train to Manchester, a guy on the way to Wedgwood, three guys on the way home for Manchester, a mom and little girl at the Queen’s Jubliee, and many others. Also Im not afraid to ask people for directions. I used to wander around forever just because I didn’t want to ask. Now I just go up to people and do it.

Also I have learned so much about my own culture and country. In Rome I was starting to but then we went home. 3 months away wasn’t enough and the language barrier was probably too large. Here I have started to see things that I love and don’t like with the USA. Being removed from it all gave me new perspective. Don’t get me wrong I still love the US of A, but some things are a bit over the top. I think we Americans are good at that and love drama. Here things are chill and reserved. I understand the stereotypes better. Before I didn’t really understand where some of them came from. Im not saying that they are all right but there is a hint of truth in some. We are such consumers, our vehicles are ridiculous, our politics are intense and so are our religious debates. I feel like perhaps the Brits are more accepting and not as judgmental.
I am interested to find out what my thoughts are as I land in Boston. Coming back from Rome I noticed how overweight so many people were, and how casually everyone dressed. But that was after being in Italy for 3 months, not Britain for a year. Europeans do have the iconic fashion and high level of dress. Britain doesn’t as much and thanks to their love of pubs, they aren’t known for their slimmest! It will be interesting to see what I notice!

Well I think that is it from London. Thanks for reading this throughout the year and thanks for everyone’s support! I loved the emails, messages, skype dates, cards, letters, and packages that you all have sent! This wont be the last post (ill post about the crazy trip home! And about my adjustment over the first week or so!) so keep checking back!

Cheers!

P.S up to this point the blog is 242 ½ pages long and 150,525 words long!

P.S.S Where it all began


1 comment:

  1. I loved this post! I can't wait t read more and see what you think once you are back. Please tell us what stereotypes are true about us. I think it would be very interesting to know!

    Have a safe trip and I can't wait to read more. Love you little bug! <3

    ReplyDelete