Thursday, December 1, 2011

Whoa!! Happy Dec!!

Sorry I didn’t blog yesterday. It just wasn’t worth it. I slept in (im too embarrassed to admit how long I stayed in bed) and then I read Kant and still have no idea what he is saying. That is all I did. Yeah… no point in wasting a blog post! It was the first day that I have moved in here that I haven’t gone ANYWHERE! It is just nice to wear sweats and have my hair looking gross. I felt myself! Haha!

Today was good. The commute was normal and nothing bad so that was a relief!! I ate my Cheerios, read about good ole Queen E I and waited for lecture. It was on 17th century tapestries, which while I don’t not want to make a career out them I can appreciate them! I cannot imagine weaving them!! Talk about talent and patience! I think that is the main reason right there… patience. I don’t have patience with crafts! I just want to see the end result! Like the “quilt” I made last summer. Epic fail just because I was patient! There is the coolest looking fabric store that I walk past EVERYDAY and if I knew what to make from it I would buy the entire store. Actually I haven’t been in because I know Ill walk out with bags of fabric and all these CRAZY ideas for it! Anyways… the lecture was good!! I was impressed by Dutch, French, and British 17th century tapestries!

Lunch wasn’t fun because I attempted to read Kant and grasp what he was saying. I really don’t understand still. GAH! And I was dreading the lecture in the afternoon…. Materials and techniques of textiles.

I was so wrong! It was pretty cool! She had samples so we could feel the difference between the fabrics and see the warp/wefts! (the warp is the thread that runs vertical and the weft is what is weaved through it) We learned all about silk, cotton, wool and taffeta, velvet and damask. Damask is my favorite! It looks so expensive (which it was). Oh I didn’t know this… Velvet is produced by looping the silt or wool and then cutting it! So the texture is from all the little cut threads sticking up! Isnt that crazy! I appreciate fabrics a LOT more!

After class I headed to the South Side of the Thames (pronounced Tems by the way. That took me a bit!) Just like what I learned in Rome…. The more lost you are, the cooler the stuff you stumble upon! I LOVE the south side! I found all sorts of stuff that I need to go back to see! Also I found a really awesome looking wine bar/restaurant. If I had extra money and a friend I would have gone! It looked so trendy and neat! It was fun! I need to go back. Oh and I found the Millennium Bridge today from a distance! (for you Harry Potter fans that is the one that gets destroyed in the 6th movie? (or is it the 7th? I cant remember!) Oh and Harry Potter 7 part 2 came out on dvd and blueray today so everyone was going crazy!

Sorry my posts are getting shorter… I have a paper to do and I feel like my life is boring. I may stop the blog when I come back in Jan. We shall see!!

SIX more days of class left!

1 comment:

  1. The textiles sound awesome! Very interesting to learn about. I'm glad that you found some interesting places today. It is fun to explore! Did you take a picture of the bridge or was it too far away? I'm sure it was crazy having the movie come out over there today!! Mine finally came yesterday! So exciting :)

    Good luck on your paper...and I love your blog but I'll understand if you stop :)

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete